Glutathione functions are enormous. It is a small molecule that is produced naturally in the body. Glutathione is one of the body’s most important antioxidants, and it is found in every cell. It is essential in the liver.
While glutathione is found in many foods, stress, poor diet, and certain medications could lead to depletion.
Glutathione is a protein (peptide) composed of three amino acids: glutamic acid, cysteine, and glycine.
It is produced naturally by the liver and is involved in many important biochemical reactions in the body, including detoxification, antioxidant activity, and protein synthesis.
Glutathione is sometimes referred to as the “master antioxidant” because it is so important in protecting cells from damage. It does this by scavenging harmful molecules known as free radicals.
Free radicals are produced when the body breaks down food or is exposed to toxins. These molecules can damage cells, leading to inflammation and disease.
Glutathione Functions, How Can It Be Increased?
Glutathione can be increased in various ways as listed below.
- You can increase your glutathione level through diets
- Supplementation is another way
- Lifestyle changes like exercise will also improve your glutathione level
Dietary Sources To Aid Glutathione Functions
Glutathione can be found in a variety of foods, including the following.
- Red meat
- Legumes, and nuts.
- The most abundant sources of glutathione are organ meats, such as liver, kidney, and heart.
- Plant-based foods, such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and oranges, also contain glutathione.
- Supplementation can be gotten as Tablets, powders and intravenous injections
The functions of glutathione involve the following:
- Glutathione is a key antioxidant and detoxifier in the body.
- It is involved in the detoxification of harmful compounds, including carcinogens and toxins.
- Reducing the risk of some types of cancer
- Glutathione also helps to protect cells from damage
- improving heart health
- Glutathione also glows the skin (no clear scientific stand)
- Boost and improves the immune system
- Glutathione is a powerful antioxidant that helps protect cells from damage.
- It has been shown to improve overall health and well-being.
- Glutathione helps to improve inflammation.
What Are The Potential Risks Associated With Glutathione Supplementation?
Glutathione functions as a powerful antioxidant that has a wide range of potential health benefits. The use of it could, however, also come with certain hazards.
- One of the most significant potential risks is that glutathione can interact with certain medications. If you are taking any medications, it is important to speak to your doctor before taking glutathione, as it could potentially interfere with the effectiveness of your medication.
- Another potential risk is that glutathione can cause side effects in some people, such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhoea. If you experience any of these side effects, it is important to stop taking glutathione and speak to your doctor
Glutathione functions cut across almost every human’s cells and organs. Adequate level aids its functions and benefits. There are also some associated risks. This is why it is important to talk to your doctor before you start taking glutathione in any form.