WHAT IS AN OVERSIZED BREAST
Oversized (large) breast is referred to in medical jargon as mammary hypertrophy, macromastia or gigantomastia. This means an oversized female breast that is disproportionate to the rest of the body proportions. In some textbooks, the assessment of oversized (macromastia) breast is based on the number of grams.
A breast weight of over 500 grams per side is called macromastia, over 1500 grams the term gigantomastia is common. Such an enlargement of the female mammary gland can be pronounced either unilaterally (one breast) or bilaterally (both breasts). In many cases there is a symmetrical increase in size, ie both breasts grow to the same extent.
Medically, it could mean a breast malformation when the breast weighs more than 500 grams . However, the body size and body weight of those affected must always be taken into account. For small and slim women, even a lower breast weight can be a major burden. Strictly speaking, therefore, there are no precise guidelines for breast hypertrophy (oversized breast). Whether it is oversized, the breast always depends on the individual physical conditions of those affected.
WHAT CAUSES (EXTREMELY LARGE) OVERSIZED BREAST
The causes of breast hypertrophy (enlargement) are largely unexplained and can be diverse. If you are overweight , the percentage of fat in your breasts will also increase. However, not only obese women can be affected by breast hypertrophy. Women of normal weight can also suffer from large breasts.
In addition to being overweight, a disproportionately large breast can be caused by hormonal changes during puberty, pregnancy and menopause. However; pregnancy-related development of giant breasts is rather rare.
PROBLEMS CAUSED BY (LARGE) OVERSIZED BREAST
- The primary symptoms of an oversized breast are essentially sagging breasts with a smeared nipple and an enlarged areola.
- The affected women usually suffer from physical complaints such as poor posture, neck and back pain as a result of the weight of the breast that is too large, bra constrictions and skin diseases .
- It can also lead to sore skin folds ( intertrigo ) or mycoses (fungal infections), which settle in the area of the under-breast fold, especially in hot seasons.
- Furthermore, there can be wear and tear on the cervical and thoracic spine as well as fingers falling asleep.
- Sporting activities and finding a suitable clothing size are often a major challenge or hardly possible or not possible at all. Jogging in particular is often out of the question for them
- Sleeping becomes a challenge because the upper body has to be bedded accordingly.
- The psychological aspect should not be neglected either. Affected women feel that other people are staring at them and taunting them, which can result in an unconscious contortion in their posture in an attempt to hide their breasts.
- It is not uncommon for insecurity, feelings of inferiority, a distorted image of one’s own body or even depression to occur.
- Although a minimiser bra can protect against prying eyes, the weight remains and a significant burden on the entire musculoskeletal system.
- When you consider that some women carry up to two or even three kilograms on each side of their chest, you can imagine how much it puts a strain on the entire body,” says Dr Gie Meyer-Vandehult, a specialist in plastic and aesthetic surgery.
OVERSIZED BREASTS (GIGANTOMASTIA) DIAGNOSIS
The breasts are weighed and their size is assessed in relation to the patient’s body.
RELIEF FOR OVERSIZED BREASTS (TREATMENT)
- The symptoms that are triggered, such as tension in the neck and back area, can be alleviated by physical measures (pain relief medications, physiotherapy , massages ).
- However, the cause, namely the high weight of the breast, is not eliminated.
- This can only be guaranteed by a mammary reduction plastic (breast reduction).
PREVENTION OF OVERSIZED BREAST
Since the causes cannot be clearly identified, preventive measures can only be taken to a limited extent.
- Inheritance cannot be prevented, nor can hormonal changes.
- The only risk factor that turns out to be controllable is obesity.
- A moderate diet and regular exercise can help maintain a normal weight and prevent excessive build-up of fatty tissue in the breasts.
PICTURE: By Pixabay